Sunday, August 30, 2009

Coming to Ame...I Mean Arizona


This has been a wild 4 years here. Phoenix is so different from California, yet...the same.

It's prettier here...no smog, mountains and saguaro's (cactus) everywhere. But there's something very fundamental missing in the Valley of the Sun.

CULTURE!

I miss concerts from my favorite artists. I miss seeing Asians driving down the street instead of just in nail shops. I haven't seen an Indian (from India) since I moved.

It's so basic to those who grew up and live in areas that are culturally diverse. But here...this right here...no diversity really. We do have Native Americans in full force, but other than that, its pretty milktoast in Phoenix.

The reason I notice...and care is that there is something to be said for living amongst different cultures that elevates you. I think that diversity makes you a more well rounded person that will allow for you to function better in society. But what do you do when you live in a culturally stagnant area? How do you learn about different cultures? How do you really value you're own when there is no comparison?!

I'm thankful that I grew up in Southern California; that I chose to spend a good portion of my 20's in LA learning more about other people. It helped develop a tolerance and appreciation that I wouldn't have received otherwise. And say what you want about LA, but the tolerance and understanding that I have about gay and lesbian issues go way beyond my drinking days in WeHo. It helped open my eyes to more than skin color diversity issues.

I love living here. I love that I have a better quality of life. That I can afford to live. Broke in Arizona is a whole other broke than in California. So though I believe I made a smart choice to relocate...I'll always consider LA my home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are so right about cultural diversity - when you live among a vast variety of people you understand how alike we are as human beings. Each culture has its unique idiosyncrasies, but underneath our skin red blood flows through all our veins. We all strive for happiness and love. We are more alike than we are different. So, here's to cultural diversity and the richness it brings to our lives.

Unknown said...

BTW, love the photo.

Anonymous said...

Dani! Katrece. And you already know how I feel about this subject. Take me back to the East!! I miss diversity!! lol! Nice place, but not a keeper for me.